It seems like when you ask somebody if you may join them at a table on the lanai during mealtimes, you generally get one of two answers. Either, “Sure,” which means yes. Or, “We’re about to have a meeting,” which means no. Variety is the spice of life, so here are suggestions of other ways to answer that question.
Mind if I join you…
- It seems inevitable at this point.
- Fate brought you here for a reason. Let’s see what that’s all about.
- Trying to pretend you don’t see that person (heavy sigh) Sure.
- Your minds made up about this, isn’t it?
- It seems we’ve reached a stalemate.
- Oh, fine, if you have to.
- I’ve been dreaming about this moment my whole life!
- You’re not backing down from this, are you?
- Only if you love me.
- Give me a second to check in with myself about that… yes. That will be fine.
- Okay, just don’t disrupt the flow we’ve got going here.
- What’s your heart telling you? Does your heart say sit here?
- Enough of these charades. What do you really want?
- I… guess so?
- You mean… you can see me?